Saturday, 26 May 2012

DMV


(Deserted Mediaeval Village)


I’m the cat that tested and turned
until finding a perfect corner
of the room that is just a floor plan of how it was.

I slid horizontal
to drink-in sleep under open sunshine: dreams,
where others may have tried, lousy in rags,
loosing spittle, blood or expectorate snores. I stir,

see a room that was tidied twice - though nature
still crawls over an opposite corner; reclaims,
covers the scabs with bracken, stitchwort,
bramble and red bells of whortleberry.

There’s a cowpat on shag-pile grass. I’d love
to stab a tiny green and white-crossed
Devon flag through its crust, under-mush
and into the patch of moor it blinded.

It’ll mark the splat where nicotine-skinned flies
skip like island dancers: their moment
in the history of here. A waft

fetches me some of their joy. They eat shit
and die. Colour muddies, then voids.

One good hammer of rain will push us all aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment